Wednesday 21 July 2010

Word on wine - Louis Jadot Chablis

Hello again

Well, it has been a busy couple of months since the last edition of All Things Local and I have been reflecting on Word on Wine which I have been writing now for three years. Due to work pressures, I have decided to step down from writing this column.

As I write, the sun is shining through my study window, so I decided to put a bottle of Chablis in the fridge to chill, ready for sitting in the garden at the weekend with friends, enjoying a cool glass of wine.

My thought for this month is… is Chablis overrated?

At a recent Kilburn Wine Circle we had a speaker presenting a variety of Burgundy wines, one of which was Chablis. Now I don’t know about you, but I have always found the French way of labelling wine somewhat challenging, as it rarely tells me on the label what grape is in the bottle. However, they are beginning to recognise that us Brits like to know what we are buying and are increasingly realising they need to let us know so that we can make an informed decision on which wine to buy.

The Chablis we tried was crisp and fresh and from the most northerly tip of the Burgundy region, and as a result the grapes grow in a slightly cooler climate. This gives the Chardonnay grape from that area a fresher, crisper taste; more so than a Chardonnay grown in more southerly areas, where the heat generally makes the grapes more sweet, rather than acidic and the wines taste heavier.

On my earlier question about Chablis, having tasted this wine at Wine Circle, I don’t think this one is overrated…so let’s see what you think!

Brand: Louis Jadot
Type: Chablis
Region: Burgundy
Year: 2008
Grape: Chardonnay
Alcohol Strength: 12.5%
Style: Crisp, dry, elegant white
Flavour: Clean, fresh, light-bodied and rich in flavour
Price: £12.99
Available: www.everywine.co.uk

Ideal with Shellfish, smoked salmon and light meals

Anne Kennedy - Kilburn Wine Circle.

No comments: